For staff, supporters and family members
Information for staff, supporters and family members
- Practical guidance on sexuality and relationships (Pavilion Publishing) - many Supported Loving members contributed.
- Leaflet covering relationships, privacy, staying safe and confidentiality (Fife Council and NHS Fife).
- Photo-stories following four couples covering relationships, getting to know each other, risks and sexual health (Central Sexual Health) - view them here: Anna and Bob, Denise and Callum, Eric and Fraser, Gina and Harry.
- Relationships toolkit (Highland Learning Disabilities and Relationships Group).
- Sexual health, relationships and parenthood (NHS Forth Valley).
- Challenging homophobia and heterosexism (Norah Fry Research Centre).
- Supporting people to develop relationships (National Development Team for Inclusion).
- Relationships and sexuality in adult social care services (Care Quality Commission)
- Supporting meaningful relationships (Skills for Care) - creating a workforce development programme with a sample training course.
- Positive sexual relationships (Research in Practice) - this briefing focuses on how practitioners can support positive relationships and minimise the risk of exploitation.
- Supporting disabled people with their sexual lives (Tuppy Owens with Claire de Than)
- Practice guidance toolkit for assessing capacity to consent to marriage (My Marriage, My Choice).
- Sexual health resources for professionals (Brook Publications) - for young people, but also useful for adults.
- LGBT resources.
- A teaching tool for exploring concept of gender (The Genderbread Person).
- Transgender Easy Read Guide For Web - created by CMG with Choice Support and Change.
- Ann Craft Trust has some resources about sexual abuse and safeguarding policies
- Sex and the 3'Rs: Rights, Risks and Responsibilities- Michelle McCarthy and David Thompson
- Sex and Relationships Education for Young People and Adults with Intellectual Disabilities and Autism - Kelly Asagba, Sophie Doswell and Jan Burns
- Sexual expression training pack for people with learning disabilities - Brook with extensive support form David Stuart and Sarah Bustard
- A guide for families and carers to support conversations with young people with a learning disability - Brook and Mencap
- A guide for healthcare professionals on reasonable adjustments and accessible sexual health care on reasonable adjustments and accessible sexual health care- Brook and Mencap
- Sex and Relationships E-learning Free online course from Wirral Mencap
Policy and procedure
There are several examples of policies on sex and relationships available on the internet. Here are some examples:
- Intimate Personal Relationships and Sexuality Policy - Adults With Learning Disabilities (Revised November 2009)
- Relationships and sexual wellbeing - Making choices keeping safe (NHS Forth Valley and Scottish Autism)
- Photosymbols - you pay a licence fee for a year and download as many images as you need.
- www.easyonthei.nhs.uk - this is free, you just have to register.
- Tom Orr - Bonnington Symbol System. Free, no need to register. Black and white graphics. Look under 'sexual health'
- Change - you can purchase a pack to download up to 100 images.
The organisations and services listed on this page are here to assist you and are provided in good faith.
Their inclusion does not imply that Supported Loving nor Choice Support endorses or supports them, nor does the absence of any other organisations or services, who are not included, imply that Supported Loving and Choice Support does not support them.
Every care is taken to ensure that the information listed is accurate. If you discover any information which you believe to be inaccurate, please let us know.