For people with learning disabilities and/or autism
A list of useful resources for people with learning disabilities and/ or autism
- Preparing for and surviving puberty, including sections on feelings, attraction and sex (Central Sexual Health).
- Love, Sex and You (by Dorset People First and Dorset Primary Care Trust) - easy read.
- Writing a policy - sex and relationships - from our Supported Loving toolkit
- Free sexual health leaflets (Lanarkshire Sexual Health) - easy read.
- Sex and relationships (Easyhealth) - accessible and some cost money.
- Sex and relationships (Unity Health) - easy read information.
- Relationships and Sexuality in adult social care services (Care Quality Commission) - easy read information. This is also available for providers.
- Training and books, including 'making friends', 'hug me, touch me', 'feeling cross and sorting it out', 'belonging' and 'loving each other safely' (Books Beyond Words) - easy read and some cost money.
- Booklets on topics including 'friends and relationships', 'lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans', 'sex and masturbation' (CHANGE) - easy read.
- Photo-stories on same sex relationship issues Jan and Phil (The Norah Fry Research Centre).
- Relationship and sex advice and Dating - dos and don'ts (Mencap).
- Dating and support (BILD).
- Puberty and sexuality for children with disabilities (RSE Hub).
- Autism friendly guide to periods - buy on Amazon.
- Resources about masturbation and puberty for young people (by Kate E Reynolds) - buy on Amazon.
- Photo-story about dating online and things to be wary of (Central Sexual Health).
- Video about domestic violence (Tizard Centre and National Institute for Health Research) - watch below.
- Beyond Words books, cover a range of subjects including sexual abuse.
- What are relationships? (Kate E. Reynolds) - a book for young people with learning difficulties and autism to explore relationships - (you can purchase this book from leading retailers, including Amazon.)
- What is personal space? (Kate E. Reynolds) - a book for young people with learning difficulties and autism to understand what personal space is and how it varies depending on our relationships with other people - (you can purchase this book from leading retailers, including Amazon
- U-Night Group offers a DVD training pack on Staying Safe in Relationships contact Sue Sharples
- Organization for Autism Research have a free guide on sexuality and sex education
- LoveLife Project Easy Read Guide to Words About Sex lists and explains in easy read hard words that have something to do with sex.
The organisations and services listed on this page are here to assist you and are provided in good faith.
Their inclusion does not imply that Supported Loving nor Choice Support endorses or supports them, nor does the absence of any other organisations or services, who are not included, imply that Supported Loving and Choice Support does not support them.
Every care is taken to ensure that the information listed is accurate. If you discover any information which you believe to be inaccurate, please let us know.